How to explain marketing to a 6 year old!
So today saw me talking to hall full of children, ranging in ages from 5 -12, about marketing. Why you ask, well I was invited to do it at a school that is running a business enterprise week.
Talking to children really makes you think, what is marketing in its simplest form? I picked the Lemonade stand example, explaining :
- The right product: choosing the right recipe (keeping an eye on costs)
- Find your market is and what they need : finding a great location, I suggested sports day ,a busy place with thirsty people… one little boy suggested Pakistan as a great location, explaining it was hot with lots of people
- Tell people about your stand, make colorful posters, hand out flyers, add balloons and have a big and clear sign telling people what you are doing.
- Create a great message: Buy our lemonade to help you get energy and run faster…
- Make it special so you charge more, turn the recipe into ice creams, serve them in pretty cups or have tables for people to sit down, we always pay more for perceived luxury.
- Create a tempting and special offer, we spoke about the ideas of a voucher, like buy one get one free, then charge a little more, people will still think that they are getting a deal.
- Service : make sure customers love you by being enthusiastic and always smiling.
I had some great questions and they really understood the impact on cost.
How would you explain what you do to a six year old?